Chino Girls Drown on Senior Night

Dominick Mendoza, Journalist, Reporter

The Chino Girls Water Polo team was looking to make a splash on their Senior Night hosted at home on February 5th. Following a tough season this year, the girls were looking to make the best out of their last game of the season against Montclair High School. 

While the home crowd cheered for them, Chino managed to keep the game close in the first quarter with Montclair taking a 4-1 lead. In spite of a close first quarter, the rest of the game was tough on Chino with them unable to score the entire second quarter. By the end of the first half of the game Montclair held a 9-1 goal advantage.  

Chino’s misfortune continued into the second half only scoring one more goal, while Montclair scored six more securing a 15-2 win. Both of Chino’s goals were scored by senior varsity captain Alyssa Huerta.  

Even with the rough loss Chino’s seniors Alyssa, Chasity, and Kyra were able to enjoy senior festivities after the match. The seniors were given bouquets and gave speeches including favorite memories, advice, and last words to teammates as proud families and friends spectated. 

Assistant coach for the Girls team, Israel Sanabria, spoke on his time with the seniors, “They always brought a lot of energy to not only games but to practices, meetings, and to the team as a whole. The girls are really close and it’s always a sad and proud moment to cheer for the graduating class”.  

Amidst groups of people gathering to get pictures with the seniors was sophomore swimmer Janeth Bernal. Bernal reminisced of her memories with the team: “Playing this year with this team was so much fun and I’m really gonna miss my seniors. I can’t wait for next season”.  

Concluding this season with plenty of fun memories, Chino’s girls water polo may have taken a loss but hold their heads up high. They close out their season with a 1-18 record.