The Lariat

Is Fortnite Season 8 Worth It? Review

Back to Article
Back to Article

Is Fortnite Season 8 Worth It? Review

Jesus Garcia, Opinion Editor

On February 28,2019,  Fortnite, the widely known free to play game ended its Season 7 when the brand new update was launched to introduce Season 8. 

Fortnite is an online video game developed by Epic Games and released in 2017. It is available in three distinct game mode versions that otherwise share the same general gameplay and game engine: Fortnite: Save the World, a cooperative shooter-survival game for up to four players to fight off zombie-like creatures and defend objects with fortifications players can build. Fortnite Battle Royale, a free-to-play battle royale game where up to 100 players fight to be the last person standing; and Fortnite Creative, where players are given complete freedom to create worlds and battle arenas. 

The first two game modes were released in 2017 as early access titles and Creative was released on December 6, 2018. Save the World is available only for Windows, macOS, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One, while Battle Royale has been released for those platforms in addition for Nintendo Switch, iOS and Android devices. 

Fortnite battle passes were introduced during Season 2 which started in December 14, 2017. The Battle Pass is a system implemented in Battle Royale to reward players for playing during a pre-established length of time known as a Season. The Battle Pass has its roots in the progression system established in Season 1, although the Battle Pass itself was not formally introduced until Season 2. There are two components to the Battle Pass, one that is freely available to all players and one that is available to purchase in the Item Shop. The latter premium product is actually the Battle Pass itself, with the free component being noted in game as the “Free Pass”.The Battle Pass cost currently (in Season 8) 950 V-bucks, a currency uses in the game to purchase cosmetic items such as skins, emotes, and harvesting tools. 

Season 8 so far has been goodexcept for the fact that they reduced the material capacity to 500 from 999. The new map along with the removal of air planes, makes the game more enjoyable because you no longer have to worry about the planes breaking down your structures. The season 8 battle pass so far isn’t as good as expected but considering that it can be acquired for free by the completion of the overtime challengesif the player completed 13/20 overtime challenges. The Season 8 Battle pass is satisfying because you can earn many new rewards and purchase new cosmetic items that will be introduced throughout the season. The overall game does need some bug fixes like the lag with the glider redeploy system, along with some introductions to better and newer weapons and vehicles. 

Thanks to the freedom of it’s outstanding building mechanicFortnite Battle Royale isn’t just a great battle royale game, it’s one of the best multiplayer games in recent history with an ign rating of 9.6