The Lariat

Stanford Dream of Alexi Magallanes Turns Into A Reality

Back to Article
Back to Article

285995486046101

285995486046101

285995486046101

Sofia Vallejo, Entertainment Editor

Ambitious Chino High School senior, Alexi Magallanes’ next step in life is to attend Stanford University, where she recently got accepted.

Magallanes is Chino High’s ASB and AP Club President and an intern for California Senator Connie Leyva. Magallanes is also involved with Teen Advisory Committee and Chino Valley’s School Board and is Superintendent Student Advisory Council President. She is obsessed with musicals, the Los Angeles Dodgers, and especially loves spending time with her family and friends who have helped her on this journey to get into Stanford.

Magallanes received the news while her mom was driving her home from her internship. Acceptance letters were released, and she was eager to check if she got accepted. As soon as she opened the letter, Alexi and her mom were crying tears of joy and pulled over to tell her brother and father.

“The feeling was indescribable. I honestly still cannot believe that I was accepted,” Magallanes told the Lariat.

Magallanes has wanted to attend Stanford for as long as she can remember, but she did not expect to be accepted and did not want to get her hopes up. She withdrew all other college applications with no hesitation and has accepted Stanford’s offer. Falling in love with the campus and many amazing programs and opportunities, Magallanes had no trouble deciding where she will spend the next years of her life.

Magallanes plans to double major or major and minor in political science and biology. Her intention is to work in politics. Being involved and interning at Sen. Leyva’s office influenced her goals and what she strives to do.

When asked who has influenced her, Magallanes said she believes all her teachers and Chino’s staff have influenced her but that she would like to thank Mrs. Gibbs, her counselor, for her guidance; Mr. Ottman, her past English teacher; and Mr. Britten, her science teacher, for their support.

“She is an amazing, mature person that is very driven to succeed both academically and in life and is extremely involved in community,” said Mr. Britten who added that he is very excited and proud of her.

Stanford University is a private research university in Palo Alto, California. It has a history for having the lowest acceptance rate of applicants, with 5%. Alumni include Elon Musk, John F. Kennedy, Sigourney Weaver, and many business people from Silicon Valley.

Alexi says she is grateful and would not be where she is today without her biggest inspiration, her mom, and supportive family. She is also thankful for Chino High’s many opportunities to get involved in her community and explore her interests.

About the Writer
Sofia Vallejo, Entertainment Editor

Sofia Vallejo, a quiet but observant senior, likes to draw and deeply loves music. She also likes traveling in the Los Angeles area, and her dream travel...

3 Comments

3 Responses to “Stanford Dream of Alexi Magallanes Turns Into A Reality”

1. Luis/Patty M (Proud parents) on February 8th, 2019 11:33 am

Way to go Lex. She believed she could so she DID. Go out and conquer the world, stretch your wings and fly high, make your dreams come true. We believe in you.

2. Luis/Patty M (Proud parents) on February 12th, 2019 12:20 pm

She believed she could so she DID. Go out and conquer the world, stretch your wings and fly high, make your dreams come true. We believe in you.

3. Peter Ottman on February 13th, 2019 1:59 pm

We agree. Thank you.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

The student news site of Chino High School