The Lariat

‘Red Dead Redemption’ Returns to the Wild, Wild West with Stunning Prequel

Back to Article
Back to Article

Randee Velarde, Entertainment Editor

The Red Dead Redemption franchise returns with a prequel to the first game, “Red Dead Redemption 2,” which released on October 26th. Rockstar starts a new long-awaited story with new characters and returning favorites. 

The video game, released on Play Station 4 and Xbox One consoles, focuses on the story of protagonist Arthur Morgan. People who played the first game were happy to see characters such as John Marston, Dutch van der Linde, Javier Escuella, and Bill Williamson, return.  

The story starts in 1899, 12 years prior to the first game which was based in 1911. It returns with the same controls and abilities, such as dead eye. Rockstar intended to make the game more realistic, adding health and weight to track on Arthur and even taking care of your horse. They also add stunning scenery to fit the next gen consoles that blow the old gen consoles away. 

In my opinion, the game is very well played and the controls were easy to handle. The story was really detailed, consisting of six chapters and two epilogues which gave a more in-depth view of Arthur Morgan.  

Arthur is an amazing character, but I did not like how they killed him off. Since the first Red Dead is a sequel to the second one, it is obvious Arthur had to die someway, so Rockstar gave him tuberculosis after being stuck in Guarma, which makes how you play different since he is getting weaker day by day. 

I also enjoyed the side quests, including helping strangers you can help out and random happenings that Arthur can witness. To reset your cores, you can sleep, bathe, or eat food which adds to the game’s realistic goals. 

While playing as Arthur, you can gain high or low honor, and you can do side quests with people in the camp. It was also very heartbreaking when at the end, Arthur saved John’s life by facing Dutch and Micah Bell, wanting John to be with his family and getting away from this outlaw life.  

I was shocked at the end to find out that in the epilogues you play the rest of the story and game as John Marston. For the most part of both epilogues, he is working on a farm and trying to get his life back on track.  

At the end of the main story, John is meets up with Dutch and Micah, resulting in Micah’s death. He was killed by Dutch because he was the one who always ratted out the group on their heists and missions. 

Other than that, Red Dead Redemption 2 is high up in my ranking of my all-time favorite games, and favorite games played this year alone.

About the Writer
Randee Velarde, Entertainment Editor

Senior Randee Velarde is kind and hardworking. She also loves music, Star Wars, Marvel, and sloths. From her room filled with movie and band posters, to...