The Lariat

Beautiful Boy; 2018’s Most Underrated Film

Marlene Guerrero, Sports Editor

With big name movies released this year: Black Panther, Bohemian Rhapsody, A Star Is Born- just to name a few, one film was disappointingly overlooked- Beautiful Boy. 

Director Felix Van Groeningen’s Beautiful Boy is based off of David Sheff’s (played by Steve Carell) memoir, Beautiful Boy: A Father’s Journey Through His Son’s Addiction. The movie follows the slowly deteriorating father-son relationship brought upon by son Nicolas Sheff’s (played by Timothée Chalamet) heavy addition to meth. 

The movie not only portrays the protagonist’s inclining dependency on drugs, but the significant ripples it causes within the family. The real climax comes when David realized he can’t help his son; he needs to take care of himself. I can only assume that it’s one of the most difficult things for a parent to go through, letting go of their child.  

There isn’t anything I would change about the film. The picture, the way the story was told all complimented each other so well. Not to take any glory from the screenplay, but the acting was a real high point of the movie. Chalamet perfectly portrayed a struggle addict aware of his faults, attempting to sober up, but ultimately having too much dependency on the drug. Carell, I thought accurately played a struggling father who hopelessly continues to help his son, until realizing the best he can do for him is walk away. 

Why a film so flawlessly executed didn’t receive half of the recognition it evidently deserved, is beyond my knowledge. Best guess is that in light of higher profile films like the ones mentioned earlier, it was disregarded. 

At the time of the writing of this article, Beautiful Boy is still being showed in theaters.

About the Writer
Marlene Guerrero, Sports Editor

Marlene is an avid sports fan although baseball is her favorite sport. Her favorite team is the Los Angeles Angels yet she occasionally watches a Dodgers...