The Lariat

Creed II: The New Champion

Ronnie Gutierrez, Photo Editor

Creed II, released on November 21st, was directed by Steven Chaple Jr. and starred Michael B. Jordan, Sylvester Stallone, Tessa Thompson, and Florian Munteanu.  

Creed II, a sports drama, continues the legacy of Adonis Creed, the son of Apollo Creed. This is set years after Rocky Balboa’s story which he now serves as Adonis’s mentor and friend. The movie explores the emotions of Adonis, as he fights Viktor Drago, the son of Ivan Drago, the same man who accidentally killed Apollo during a boxing match. Now challenged with protecting the pride of the Creed legacy, he sets out to find the strength his father had when fighting Drago. 

The movie was incredible. Even if you haven’t seen a Rocky movie, Creed II is deeply enjoyable. Audience members were cheering and clapping during the climax of the movie. Although the movie was perfect, the theme was kind of disappointing. They reused the Rocky theme song and didn’t give Adonis his own music.  Nonetheless, Creed II is great to see on the big screen. 

The Rocky series is quite the handful, spanning over six movies with Rocky, and two with Adonis. Almost all the movies are adored, and Creed II adds another movie to that list. The movie made a knockout performance as it made over $38,000,000 within the first opening week. Rotten Tomato gave it an 81%, and IMDB gave it 8/10. Creed II continues to be a huge success throughout the days to come.

About the Writer
Ronnie Gutierrez, Photo Editor

From a young age Ronnie Gutierrez had a very creative mind. Creative photography and movie making are big influences and skills that he possesses. He...