The Lariat

Chino High participates in ALICE Training

Eric Seliz, Sports Editor

In a recent surge of mass shootings across the nation, a program named ALICE takes a stand to prevent such acts of violence. ALICE (Alert, Lockdown, Inform, Counter, Evacuate) trains organizations to defend themselves from immediate danger, in Chino High’s case; teachers, administration, and even students undergo training. 

Students are taught communication skills and procedures via videos in class. While informative, staff participate in something more engaging. 

Chino High admin trains with the local police department through the beginning of the school year, and throughout the year if necessary. The program is available online and/or in person by an organization’s preference, certificates are given to show completion of the course. 

Assistant principal, Elizabeth Chang, believes the program will benefit Chino’s communication skills, and prepare staff and students for the unexpected. 

“I think it’s very important to prepare for things like this. When we are practicing it’s so surreal to think of those possibilities, but when it actually happens, it’s important to know what to do.” said Cheng. “It’s also important to be kind to others because you don’t know what they may be going through.” 

For more information about ALICE, visit www.alicetraining.com