Chino’s Fall Academic Rally

Back to Article
Back to Article

Chino’s Fall Academic Rally

Ash Vasquez, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Chino High hosted its first academic rally of the year on October 19th to recognize its most academically successful students in the gym during 3rd and 4th periods.  

After everyone settled into the jam-packed bleachers, the Hollywood theme-based rally began by presenting the National Anthem, sang by sophomore Angel Campos.  

“It was very nerve wracking, especially since Mr. Bowden was there, but I think I did okay,” said Campos. 

Shortly afterwards, seniors including Antonio Esquivel, Mark Calvario, and James Nuci were awarded certificates for receiving a score of 3 or higher on the nationwide test corresponding to the specific AP class they took.  

Antonio Esquivel, a recipient of two certificates, said, “It felt mesmerizing to receive an award for classes that I put an excruciating amount of work into.” 

The rally proceeded to grant additional certificates to the top 25 students from each class, all of whom sat in chairs on the gym floor. As an extra reward, they also received a coupon to get a free kid’s meal from Bruxie, a local chicken and waffles joint located at the Chino Hills Shoppes. 

Sophomore Sergio Gallindo then followed up with a jazzy rendition of the famed “Somewhere Over the Rainbow” from The Wizard of Oz, sending the crowd roaring.  

To add to the fun, a video put together by Chino High’s ASB allowed staff members such as Mr. Blank, Ms. Legazcue, and several of the campus police officers to show off their moves to the entire student body, dancing to songs from “Take on Me” to “Plug Walk”. 

After a brief performance by Chino’s Impact dance team, another group of seniors were acknowledged for maintaining a 4.0 while participating on a sports team.  

As the rally came to a close, students Camilla Bandini and Elijah Estrada were honored for showing all of the qualities of a true Chino Cowboy, such as kindness, intelligence, and respect. Multiple rounds of applauses sounded as they walked up and down the aisles of the gym floor.