Where are the Lunch Passes?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Where are the Lunch Passes?

Taylor Sanchez

Lunch passes have been a privilege for seniors and few juniors for many years. However, the wait for passes this year has caused students to be frustrated and has led some students to believe they may not get them until next semester.  

Since the first week of school, many students have been trying to get a hold of the lunch passes, which allow them to go off campus during lunch. Some started going to the activities’ and principal’s office asking when they’d receive the lunch passes, but the answer kept getting pushed back.  

With the answer still unclear of when the lunch passes will be distributed to the students that are qualified for them, the Lariat sat down with Principal Mr. Miller to discuss the issue. The reason why the passes are taking so long is because of multiple reasons, including that they had to “reorganize how the passes were given, earned, and distributed.” Another was because of many forged passes students were creating last year.  

“It devalues the pass for students that have earned them,” Mr.Miller said regarding  the certain students that were forging the pass. He said how last year he was spending “one to two days a week after school dealing with forged passes.” Mr. Miller also said that they found out from district that  they were using the wrong grading criteria for  who is allowed to get the lunch passes.  

Chino was  using the accumulative grade point average instead of using the most recent grades as they were supposed to, the gpa to get them are  2.0 for seniors and 3.5 for juniors. He also went on to say that the lunch passes will hopefully be distributed  to the students within the next couple of weeks.