The Lariat

Varsity Football Jerseys Used by Pop Warner

Marlene Guerrero, Sports Editor

Two Sundays ago, it was discovered that Chino High’s Varsity Football jerseys were being used by Pop Warner players. 

Athletic Director Michael Hinkle received photos of Pop Warner players in Chino Varsity jerseys yet neither Head Varsity coach Damien Staricka nor Hinkle had approved the usage of the jerseys. 

As the investigation continued, Hinkle and Principal John Miller discovered that an assistant Varsity football coach who also coaches Pop Warner had been using the jerseys without permission. The assistant coach expressed that he had been using the jerseys only until their Pop Warner jerseys arrived. 

When interviewed by The Lariat, Miller explained that although the assistant coach was transparent and apologetic, disciplinary action was necessary. 

“We’re here to run a program with the highest integrity,” said Miller.  

Although the assistant coach was penalized, due to Human Resources confidentiality, consequences could not be released.  

About the Writer
Marlene Guerrero, Sports Editor

Marlene is an avid sports fan although baseball is her favorite sport. Her favorite team is the Los Angeles Angels yet she occasionally watches a Dodgers game here and there. She’s also a movie fanatic; especially a fan of Quentin Tarantino’s work. On her free time she likes to read a good book, take a drive with friends, or play a little tennis. She  plans to join the U.S. Air Force after high school.