The Lariat

We Are The Change

Abby Fagan, Entertainment Editor

Is it not the job of congress to solve our societal issues? Florida Senator Marco Rubio, a lawmaker, sure seems to not have much faith in our laws. As he spoke on the Parkland shooting, he states that if someone wants to commit a crime, they will find a way to do it regardless of the laws in place; he also says that a law isn’t going to stop tragedies like this from happening. This is very contradictory of the laws we already have in place, from issues spanning from driving, all the way to restrictions on drugs, terrorism, and abortion. Laws cannot always prevent 100% of these negative actions, however, laws are meant to assist the reform of our society. Saying nothing can be done to stop these tragedies is an excuse being touted by Americans who just want to protect their second amendment rights, even though, when the constitution was written somehow carrying muskets or dueling pistols in 1789 has turned into easily obtaining an AR-15 rifle and having it brought into a school in 2018. I am sure this is not what James Madison had in mind for the security of a free state.

Throughout history the youth have led for reform with strength and determination.

On March 2, 1955, Claudette Colvin was arrested for refusing to give up her seat on a segregated bus in Montgomery, Alabama. She was 15 years old.

On February 1, 1960, Joseph McNeil, Franklin McCain, David Richmond and Ezell Blair, sat down at a “whites only” lunch counter and refused to leave after being denied service. The four men were college students.

On January 21, 2017, people from all around the world marched alongside the Women’s Marchers to advocate legislation and policies regarding women’s rights, a young girl Sophia Cruz, encouraged her young peers to stand up and fight. She was 6 years old.

After the parkland school shooting students in Tallahassee protested, demanding reform on gun laws. Even meeting with law makers and organizing more rallies in parkland Florida as well as across the country including a march in Washington. Students have been consumed by frustration and fear that congress and the president seem to be ignoring.

Anguished Florida student, Emma Gonzalez called “B.S.” on the fact that they have been repeatedly told tougher gun laws will not decrease gun violence, at the same time of mourning their passed peers who were shot and killed during the shooting.

Many people seem to believe that these shootings are “unlikely” or that it is “not going to happen to you”, well if that it so, then why did schools across the nation take twenty minutes out of second period on March 13, 2018 to show everyone an active shooter preparation video and practice barricading doors during a lockdown drill. For something so obscene and unlikely, there sure has been a lot of preparing students, but school districts, Congress, and Mr. President, why are you only preparing your children instead of protecting them?