The Lariat

Thank You, Valentinus!

Abby Fagan, Entertainment Editor

Happy Valentine’s Day, Chino Cowboys. Whether you’re celebrating with friends, a “bae,” or your pets, you should know a little bit of the history behind the amiable celebration.

St. Valentine’s Day falls on February 14th of each year. Although the name is Saint Valentine’s Day, most people refer to the day as Valentine’s Day, or even the Feast of Saint Valentine. Although the exact history of Valentine’s Day is murky, it is said to be a day to celebrate Saint Valentinus, who was imprisoned for performing weddings for soldiers who were not allowed to marry and also for ministering to Christians.

Saint Valentinus wrote a letter to the daughter of his jailer before he was executed, his letter was signed “From your Valentine.” He was buried on February 14th. This is when the celebration began: Valentine’s Day was not associated with romantic love until the 1700s, in England it began to resemble the Valentine’s Day we know today. At this time, lovers began to express their love with gifts of flowers, candy and cards, which were called “valentines.”

Valentine’s Day would not be complete without Cupid, the most recognized symbol of love. In Roman mythology, Cupid is the son of Venus, the goddess of love. In Greek mythology, he was known as Eros and was the son of Aphrodite. Whichever way you portray him, you have still seen him everywhere. From cartoons, to your boxes of chocolate, and even clothing items, but what does he really symbolize for Valentines Day?

In classic mythology, he has white wings and is armed with a golden bow and arrows, which signify love and desire. When he shoots them at people, they fall truly, madly, and deeply in love. Which is, after all, the theme of Valentines Day, right?

For those of you who have progressively dodged Cupid’s arrows, one of your favorite parts of Valentines Day may be, the day after. “Singles Awareness (or Appreciation) Day” (S.A.D), is not only a day to celebrate yourself, but also all of the chocolates, and heart shaped junk food on sale. So get out there, treat yourself and leave a quick thank you to Saint Valentinus for your “75% off” candy.