The Lariat

Filed under Health, News

Severe Flu Outbreak

Every year Americans all around the country line up for flu shots and stock up on warm clothes and medicine to get ready for the upcoming flu season. However, this year, the flu struck the populace harder than expected, and sent fear among many.

According to the Center for Disease Control (CDC) website, the Flu has been widespread throughout the United States this year in every state save from Maine, New Hampshire, Hawaii, and New Jersey. Also, according to a separate study done by scientists in the UK, the reason that this year’s flu season is so bad is partially due to the fact that this specific strain of flu named influenza B originated from Japan and Australia.

Due to its exotic nature, the immune system of those who live in American and European countries are not prepared to deal with the disease, leaving those countries more vulnerable to the virus.

So, while waiting for the disease to pass by, remember to practice good hygiene and dress warmly during this cold season. Be sure to keep yourself well hydrated as well, and be wary of symptoms such as chills, fatigue, congestion, runny nose, sore throats, and headaches, as they are all common symptoms of the flu. Should you find yourself with any of these symptoms, rest yourself immediately.

Do not, under any circumstances overexert yourself when diagnosed with the flu, as this is a quick way to worsen your conditions, put yourself out of commission, and possibly even get pneumonia.

So while the cold season still lingers and disease still lurks in the air, hunker down and do not take any risk. Remember, the flu this year is no ordinary flu.