The Lariat

Boy’s Senior Tennis Game 2017

Jackie Tapia, Reporter

The Varsity Tennis Team had their last game of the season on Thursday April 27 against Diamond Ranch.

As tradition, at the final game of each season, seniors were recognized for their participation during season. This year there were nine seniors; Abel Ambriz, Robert Sanchez, Anthony Mendoza, Joey Watkins, Damien Apodaca, Chet Riddle, Hector Pacheco, and Dawson Allen. Coach Hinkle pulled together information about each senior:

Abel Ambriz has played 4 years on the tennis team, three of which have been on varsity. Besides being of the tennis team, Ambriz has played three years on the soccer team. Ambriz said his favorite memory of playing tennis was “taking third place in prelims against Walnut last year” Walnut is notorious in the league for being a competitive and a difficult team to beat. After high school, Ambriz plans to attend college and obtain a degree in accounting.

Robert Sanchez has been playing tennis for four years. Sanchez would not disclose how many years he has played on varsity, but he jokingly told The Lariat he hopes to become a “super senior” to continue playing tennis. Sanchez is part of the solar cup on campus and his favorite teacher is Mr. Fallon. Sanchez’s favorite moment in tennis is being able to follow in his brother’s footsteps.

Anthony Mendoza has been a tennis player for four years, three of them were on varsity. Mendoza is on the soccer team and is a member of Renaissance. Mendoza’s favorite moment was when his racket strings broke and he still managed to win the point when the ball went through his opponents. Mendoza wanted to thank his parents for always supporting him and him plans to further his education and begin a career in the medical field.

Joey Watkins has played on the varsity team for all three years. He is also involved in the math club and cross country team. Watkins’s favorite moment was when he defeated Christopher Echeverria in the Serve-A-Thon fundraiser to the most serves completed out of 100. His favorite teacher is Mrs. Murillo and he plans to attend UC San Diego and plans to get a degree in aerospace engineering.

Damien Apodaca has played two years of tennis and this year was his first year on varsity. Apodaca has wrestled on the school team for two years and his favorite teacher is his psychology teacher Mr. Woods. Apodaca’s favorite thing to do is to hang out with his friends after school. “I would like to thank my parents for being supportive even if they couldn’t be here (for his games) and Roxie for always coming to support me” said Apodaca. He plans to attend Chaffey College and transfer later to a university.

Chet Riddle has played on the varsity team for two years along with being on the water polo team. Riddle’s favorite moment in tennis, was when he made varsity the first year he joined. He enjoys doing yoga in his spare time and plans to attend Mt. San Antonio College to finish his general education. Riddle wanted to thank his family “for supporting his tennis efforts whether it is on the court or at home.”

Hector Pacheco has played tennis for two years and is also a part of the soccer, swim and track team. Along with sports, Pacheco is involved with the Let It Be, AP Club, Yearbook Committee, and Key Club. His favorite teacher is his art teacher, Mrs. Sinkwich and his favorite activity outside of tennis is to make money. Pacheco plans to attend California State University, Fullerton or San Francisco State University for college.

Dawson Allen played his first year of tennis this year and through vigorous work over the summer made the varsity team. He is a part of Renaissance and French Club as well as other activities on and off campus, like basketball. Allen wanted to thank his friends, Denise and Carolina, for practicing with him every day so he could make varsity. Allen plans to obtain a degree in business administration and become a marketing agent for a large corporation like Nike or Adidas.