The student news site of Chino High School

The Lariat

Chino Cowboys become UCLA Bruins

Processed with VSCO with c1 preset

Processed with VSCO with c1 preset

Processed with VSCO with c1 preset

Paola Morales, Opinion Editor

As many students awaited their UC acceptances, three of our very own Chino Cowboys were very proud to announce that they were accepted to the University of California, Los Angeles, also known as UCLA.

Leslie Sanchez, Jack Rafferty and Daisy Durantes have now officially committed to UCLA.

Over 102,000 students applied to UCLA and our Cowboys were a few of the ones selected from the largest college applicant pool in the nation.

“UCLA has always been my dream school. I fell in love with UCLA the moment I set foot on its campus. I remember hearing so many discouraging stories throughout the years about how difficult it was to get in, but that only motivated me to work harder for it,” shared Leslie. Leslie is thrilled to begin this new journey because it will “help me[her] shape into the person I hope to become.”  Senior, Leslie Sanchez  mentioned how she was aware of the high cost of tuition, however, that did not hold her back, “I knew there were loans, scholarships, and programs available that would help me cover the costs.” Sanchez hopes to major in International Relations.

When Senior, Rafferty, was asked what he expects from his college experience he shared “ I expect a way different environment from high school and hopefully I’ll be surrounded by a lot of self-driven people who are just as motivated as I am.” Rafferty mentioned that UCLA caught his interest because of its “diverse student body and its profound reputation for its academics.” Although Rafferty was still waiting to hear back from Stanford, he was set on UCLA  after he received their “Regents Scholarship.”  Senior, Rafferty, hopes to double major in Economics and Political Science.

Lastly, Senior Daisy Durantes was also very excited to announce that she got accepted into UCLA. “The fact that it is in LA and it is one of the top schools caught my interest. With Los Angeles being one of the biggest cities, it will bring me more opportunities when it comes to internships and research in my career field.”  Daisy hopes her college experience to be challenging but also enjoyable. “I am excited to go on a new campus for the next four years and make new friendships.” Durante is hoping to major in Economics.
Chino staff and students congratulate Leslie Sanchez, Jack Rafferty, and Daisy Durantes and wish them the best of luck on their journey as UCLA Bruins.