The Lariat

Hamilton Comes to LA

Bella Pettengill, Reporter

The hit broadway musical Hamilton, created by Lin-Manuel Miranda, is set to come to Los Angeles in 2017, which is exciting many “Hamilfans” across Southern California. The show will begin its run on Aug. 11, 2017 and will run until Dec. 30. Tickets already being sold and the cast yet to be announced.
Since its release in the summer of 2015, the show has taken of and gathered a large fanbase of all ages. Hamilton is especially unique as it incorporates hip hop and rap elements, grabbing youth’s attention and revolutionizing modern broadway. As outrageous as the idea of rapping about a founding father sounded, the show reached incredible heights that nobody saw coming. It received a record-setting 16 Tony nominations and won 11, including Best Musical. It was also the winner of the 2016 Grammy Award for Best Musical Theater Album and the 2016 Pulitzer Prize for Drama.
The show’s original cast features Miranda, who stars as Alexander Hamilton, Leslie Odom Jr as Aaron Burr, Renee Elise Goldsberry as Angelica Schuyler and Phillipa Soo as Eliza Schuyler. However, nearly the entire cast recently took their final bow to seek new opportunities and advance their individual careers. Hamilton also found itself expanding from its home at the Richard Rogers Theatre, as it opened up at The Privatebank Theatre in Chicago on Sept. 27.
The story follows founding father Hamilton and his true experiences in war, politics and personal life, expressing them all through song. Based off a biography by Ron Chernow, Miranda wrote the lyrics and music to each of the 46 songs, telling the tale of Hamilton’s complicated love life, his acts of heroism in the Revolutionary War, the conflicts between himself and other politicians and the many tragedies he faced. A perfect blend of humor, action and drama, it’s no surprise Hamilton is one of the most famous and influential broadway shows in years.
Ready to experience the impactful and life-changing show, adults, students and families are already planning on buying tickets for a show a year away. The excitement surrounding Hamilton is certainly unprecedented, as Miranda had no idea how popular his creation would be. Inspiring the lives of many, he did what most said he couldn’t and created a legacy, making sure to never throw away his shot.