The student news site of Chino High School

The Lariat

Filed under Politics

The Signifigance of Religious Freedom

Religious Freedom Restoration Act (RFRA) is an act to protect the free exercise of religion. It was established on November 16, 1993, which was signed by President Bill Clinton. This act bans any intervention, department, or official of the United States, or government, from considerably encumbering an individual’s exercise of religion, even if the encumber results from a rule of common applicability. It states that: nothing in this Act shall be construed to interpret the clause of the First Amendment to the Constitution prohibiting the establishment of religion; the granting of government funding, benefits, or exemptions, to the amount tolarable under that clause, shall not constitute a violation of this Act; and as used in this Act, “granting” does not involve the dismissal of government funding, exemptions, or benefits.

Religious liberty and a growing religious culture are defining aspects of the United States; it portrays the American order as much as its political system and market economy. The fight to protect religious freedom has been strictly aligned with the civil rights movement. Over the last decade, civil rights supporters have continually fought attacks to restrain free religious expression, and weaken the wall between church and state.

andrew cruz website

Andrew Cruz, president of the board

Recently, the Chino Valley Unified school board was sued for praying and reading Bible passages during their public meetings. Some argue that there is nothing wrong with that.

Well there is plenty, if one follows a different, or no religion at all. The First Amendment promises Americans the independence to worship or not to worship as they choose, yet the school district only sees one superior religion: Christianity. Of course, there is nothing bad about that, but one should pray in private residences. I say this because not everyone who works for, or with, the district follows the same beliefs. Not only does it leave the individual in a uncomfortable situation, but it violates the big C, Constitution.

Andrew Cruz, the president of the board, states, “Christ died for our sins, according to the Scripture, and he was buried and he was raised on the third day, according to the Scripture.”

Is this a school board or Sunday school?  I wonder how board members would feel if someone gave readings from the Torah, or the Quran during these public meetings.

Andrew Seidel, a lawyer for Freedom from Religion Foundation (the organization that carried the lawsuit against the school district) mentioned, “This is a resounding victory, and it shores up the law of separation between state and church in our public school system.” Finally, a federal judge had ruled in support of the Freedom from Religion Foundation in its lawsuit against the district, ruling that prayer, Bible readings and religious exhortations during school board meetings violated people’s First Amendment rights.

The dilemma here is that the board claims to be doing God’s will, but the definition of God’s will differ. In a way it subjugates, in some regards, when one wishes to worship God as one sees fit. People have an inherent right to think and believe what they choose.

Where religious freedom is denied, human development and flourishing is impaired.