The student news site of Chino High School

The Lariat

Filed under Sports

Balancing School and Sports

The combination of a long school day, sports practice, and additional school work to do at home is enough to drive any teenager crazy. Under these circumstances, it can be tempting for a student athlete to begin slacking on school work. That’s why it is very important that students know how to balance school and sports in their schedule, because it is indeed possible.

Manyara Ochoa, a current student athlete at Chino High, gave her thoughts on how she personally handles the stress of softball and academics. When asked if she finds it hard to balance the two she replied, “Yes, on game days.” Ochoa, like many other students, finds it difficult to make time for school work after a long and tiring game. It’s hard to jump right into homework following a sports game, especially if it ended later than usual or caused you to be angry or upset. However, despite the games, Ochoa stated that she always finds to time to do her work and completes all of it on time; and it was all worth it, because she achieved a GPA of over a 4.0 last semester!

According to Breaking Muscle, “youth who participate in sports, whether school or community sports, perform better academically than children who do not participate in sports.” Sociologist Jay J. Coakley wrote, “Studies have shown consistently that when compared with students who do not play varsity sports, high school athletes, as a group, generally have better grade point averages, more positive attitudes toward school, more interest in continuing their education after graduation, and a slightly better educational achievement rate.”

However, this cannot be possible if the student is not willing to put in the effort and attempt to control their schedule. The best thing a struggling student athlete can do is get organized and plan ahead. This can help keep them on schedule and be informed on what they need to do and when they need to do it. It will help them manage their time more wisely, which is crucial if they want to excel in both sports and academics. A student should also make sure to never procrastinate! Procrastinating can result in unfinished work which will result in falling behind. If the procrastination is continued, it will eventually lead to a drop in grades, which will lower a student’s GPA and possibly make them ineligible to play sports.

Throughout our lives we will constantly struggle with the battle of our schedule and time management issues. It’s important to learn how to deal with these issues now so you can be prepared to tackle any time conflicting situation that may come your way in the future. By staying organized, planning ahead, and staying on top of tasks, you will become more prepared to face these problems, as well as any problems you may face now as a student athlete. Just remember to keep a healthy balance between your sport and school, because that is the key to being successful in both of them!